Monday, 3 March 2014

DIY Coloured Flowers

As I have told you in previous posts I have been decorating my bedroom, which still isn't finished! All the painting is now done, and everything is starting to go back in its place but I haven't yet managed to complete all the finishing touches. I haven't even ordered my new bedding or blind yet!

On Saturday I decided that it was time to get my head in gear and sort out some of my finishing touches. I scouted my mums little corner of wedding bits from July, (we made all our own table decorations etc, so we had lots of silk flowers left over that weren't used) I managed to find a bunch of white roses that were perfect for what I wanted to do.

I got out my paints, a couple of paint brushes and a bowl of water. To match the bedding that I want I had decided that I wanted a bunch of white, pink and blue flowers to sit in a glass milk bottle that I have. So I got to painting a couple of them blue and a couple pink.

I added a little bit of paint to the bowl of water so it was a bit more like a dye, and then using my brush I painted each petal. After I had gone around the whole flower which was now a pastel pink or blue, I wet my brush and dipped it into the paint, so the consistency was a little bit more thicker. I started form the bottom of each petal and did thick brush strokes up to the top. This created a nice realness to each petal with the different shades of pink/blue.

Once I had completed each of the flowers that I wanted to do I put them on my radiator to dry as they were very wet from all the water. While they were drying I started on another little flower piece I had gathered from the wedding bits. It was a garland of roses which each had a fairy light in the middle. I love fairy lights around my bed, and this was even nicer because they were roses. They were pale cream roses with hints of pink around the centre. To match my bed I decided to paint them pink. I didn't use too much water with these as I didn't want them to be a pastel pink I wanted them to be a more predominant pink that stood out.

Before and After

These roses were white originally painted to pink to go around the bottom of my bed.

Throughout the whole process Daisy decided that she was going to use me as a bed!


  1. This is such a cute idea, i wish i was as creative at doing things like that! Just to let you know, i've nominated you for a Leibster award on my channel.. sorry if you've already done one :)x

  2. These are so pretty :)

  3. These are so pretty! Great idea :) xx